5 Benefits of Custom Wood Cabinets
When you are planning a kitchen or bathroom remodel, one decision they need to make is whether to use cabinets from a big box store or choose custom wood cabinets instead. While it may seem wise to go with stock cabinets to save money, it is important to look at the many benefits of custom wood cabinets. Stock cabinets might not save you as much as you think.
- Durability – Stock cabinetry is often built with particle board and the joints are glued, nailed or screwed together. With custom cabinetry, real wood is used and joints are typically constructed by dovetail, dowel or mortise-and-tenon. This stronger construction means custom wood cabinets will last much longer.
- Tailored to Needs – No two cooks use their kitchen the exact same way, yet all stock cabinetry provides for only standard options. The gourmet cook who desires a space designed for spices is never going to find a suitable spice cabinet in a stock design. Stock cabinets also come in only standard heights, which will not be as comfortable for people who are taller or shorter than average.
- Support Local Economy – Homeowners can often select custom wood cabinets that are produced in their region with wood from nearby trees. By purchasing these wood cabinets, the homeowner is supporting the local economy.
- Custom Fit – No space is lost when using custom built cabinetry, even when a kitchen’s layout is unconventional. This is not true with stock cabinetry that is manufactured to use in standard kitchen sizes and layouts. The same is true for bathroom cabinetry.
- Perfect Match – Every cabinet in a custom order will look exactly the same because they have been crafted at the same time with the same woods and the same finishes. This cannot be said of stock cabinetry, in which one order can include a combination of cabinets from different assembly line batches, and thus can be noticeably different in many cases.